When doing the Nike Run last year, I got one of those yellow "L I V E S T R O N G" bracelets that Lance Armstrong gives out. Now don't get me wrong, I want to live strong, but I think I'm going to start wearing it for my new goal, to live cheap. I mean, not that I want to be cheap miser, but to live in a manner when I'm eating in more often and spending less money on frivolous things. I guess I could say "L I V E W I T H I N M Y M E A N S" but that doesn't quite have the ring that "L I V E C H E A P" does.
However, once a week the girlfriend and I will allow ourselves to spend money on something frivolous. On Sundays after church we will either eat out or buy ourselves a cheap "present" or something. And to be even cooler, we're going to boost the local economy with this local "Recession Buster" plan. Here are the details:
Recession Buster of the Week
It’s time we own this recession and get busy rebuilding and supporting our communities and our country.
The 3/50 project was born out of the concept of buying local to build the economy.
How do you support your local business and stores when your pocket book is so slim?
1. Pick 3 independently owned businesses that you would miss if they disappeared. Stop in. Say hello. Pick up something that brings a smile. Your purchases are what keeps those businesses around.
2. If half the employed population spent $50 each month in local independent businesses, it would generate more than $42.6 billion in revenue. Imagine the positive impact if 3/4 of the employed population did that!
3. For every $100 spent in locally owned independent stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll and other expenditures. If you spend that in a national chain only $43 stay here.
4. The number of people it takes to start the trend…one….you!
Read more about the 3/50 project here http://www.the350project.net/media.html
It’s time we own this recession and get busy rebuilding and supporting our communities and our country.
The 3/50 project was born out of the concept of buying local to build the economy.
How do you support your local business and stores when your pocket book is so slim?
1. Pick 3 independently owned businesses that you would miss if they disappeared. Stop in. Say hello. Pick up something that brings a smile. Your purchases are what keeps those businesses around.
2. If half the employed population spent $50 each month in local independent businesses, it would generate more than $42.6 billion in revenue. Imagine the positive impact if 3/4 of the employed population did that!
3. For every $100 spent in locally owned independent stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll and other expenditures. If you spend that in a national chain only $43 stay here.
4. The number of people it takes to start the trend…one….you!
Read more about the 3/50 project here http://www.the350project.net/
We're not necessarily going to spend $50 a month, but at least we'll be trying to do something to better ourselves and the community. It's a small step, but hopefully it will lead to a more economically conscious Shandrew.
So if you see me walking around with one of those ridiculous yellow bands, you can laugh. But remember, I actually have a purpose for it!
No comments:
Post a Comment