Apparently, the worship of God in the Old Testament always required blood sacrifice. Something or someone had to die for an individual to be in the presence of God. As the Old Testament goes on, the Temple, or, location of God's presence evolved to become larger and more complex. This all lead up to Jesus Christ's death on the cross which is to be taken as the ultimate blood sacrifice because he is God's presence and without sin. With this step, the temple in which God's presence now visits no longer needs to be an actual temple. With this sacrifice, the temple now becomes man.
This is kind of an abridged rundown of the idea of the sermon.
So why do I, a skeptic, feel this helps the idea of truth in the Bible. Because man is barbaric. Man would require blood sacrifice. Man has killed many for religious ideals. I can believe that, in the past, religion was based on blood sacrifice. I feel that this shows the evolution of Christianity. This is a good thing for me because it shows the growth of we as a people. It also supports my cause in understanding and believing in the things that are said in the Bible.
However, the chilling fact, for me, is that I have always tried to believe that man is inherently good. I feel that, in general, we strive to be good people. With this particular revelation, it becomes a little harder to swallow the happy pill.
That is why this particular bit of truth becomes unfortunate.
1 comment:
Just a note to show you I'm reading this!
Post a Comment